Cook for Hotel
Job LocationSheriff Street, Georgetown
Attention to Detail
Cooking is a science, so a cook needs to be precise. Every ingredient and measurement must be exact. Cook need to be precise in others ways as well: whether ordering food products or figuring out what time to cook certain items, a cook needs to have an eye for detail.
A good cook is also a good businessman. He or she should always be thinking about how to make delicious food while also being cost-effective.
Cook need to know how to keep the kitchen sanitary. This is very important in a restaurant, where unsanitary conditions can affect the quality of the food, and can even force a restaurant to shut down.
Working in the food industry requires creativity. Cook must be open to incorporating new food items into menus and improving older recipes. Creativity and imagination will keep customers coming back to a restaurant.
The most important hard skill cook need is an ability to cook, as well as knowledge of the kitchen. This broad skill includes a variety of smaller skills, including knife skills and tasting skills. Cook need to be able to cook precisely and efficiently. They also need to be skilled at recognizing flavors and judging the balance of seasonings.
Fast-Paced Decision Making
A cook should be able to make decisions quickly and efficiently. The kitchen is a fast-paced environment, and a cook has to make numerous decisions at once.
A good cook will motivate those working in the kitchen. He or she should be able to keep everyone working at a fast, efficient pace.
In the kitchen, a cook is always working on multiple tasks at once. He or she might need to address staff issues while also working on several elements of a meal. A cook must be able to complete all of these tasks at the same time, and efficiently.
Cook must be very organized in the kitchen. Often, they have to work on a variety of tasks at once and must do so while keeping the kitchen organized. They must create order and structure in the kitchen so that the environment is not chaotic.
A cook is part of a team and must be able to work well with others. Not only must he or she work with the cooks in the kitchen, but he or she must also be able to work effectively with staff and management.
- Proven experience as cook
- Experience in using cutting tools, cookware and bakeware
- Knowledge of various cooking procedures and methods (grilling, baking, boiling etc.)
- Ability to follow all sanitation procedures
- Ability to work in a team
- Very good communication skills
- Excellent physical condition and stamina
- High school diploma or equivalent; Diploma from a culinary school will be an advantage
- Set up workstations with all needed ingredients and cooking equipment
- Prepare ingredients to use in cooking (chopping and peeling vegetables, cutting meat etc.)
- Cook food in various utensils or grillers
- Check food while cooking to stir or turn
- Ensure great presentation by dressing dishes before they are served
- Keep a sanitized and orderly environment in the kitchen
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly
- Check quality of ingredients
- Monitor stock and place orders when there are shortages
To be discussed at interview
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may alternatively apply for this job online with your SkilledGuyanese profile.
Your application will be emailed to the employer immediately.
Then, the employer will be able to view your application on our website.
A JOB BY